top of page

    Although the Pisan cross itself dates to 1017, the oldest surviving representation is a carving on the city walls, built in 1156 by counsellor Cocco Griffi. The city flag, red with the white cross on it, was officially recognized by Pope Callixtus II. The design for this cross was adapted from the flag which flies atop the campanile of the leaning tower of Pisa.
   The Pisan cross is technically described as with keys (or paws) and three spheres on every arm. Its symbolism is unknown; the cross itself may represent Christ, and the twelve spheres his Apostles.The flag depicts an equilateral cross in red emblazoned on a white background.

Dimensions: 5/8" x 5/8"

Cross of Pisa

$30.00Price